Director, Global Environmental, Health & Safety
Job Location: Americas
Job Category: Regulatory
Job Schedule: Full Time
Apply in the US
We have a great opportunity for an Environmental, Health & Safety Director to join Michelman which will report to the General Legal Counsel. You will provide leadership, expertise, and practical support for Safety Excellence in all laboratories and manufacturing plants in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific - to ensure we have a rigorous safety program that protects the safety of our associates, contractors and visitors.
You will establish safety standards and governance processes aligned with our values, training framework and improvement strategy with a roadmap for sustainable performance. You will ensure manufacturing practices are aligned with our safety strategy, philosophy, policies and local legislations and regulations. You will partner with local management to develop technical solutions to improve safe manufacturing capabilities. You will promote sustainability improvements in the use of key resources like energy and water to drive long term positive change in our solid and liquid waste.
This role requires working within a complex manufacturing structure at a plant and corporate level. The work is multi-dimensional in the areas of regional, legal and corporate regulations and compliance. It involves influencing sustainable change in cultural and technical aspects of manufacturing at all levels of the organization. Management involves working in a matrixed organization with Plant Safety and Corporate Safety teams driving solutions in cooperation with plant operations, engineering and technology resources.
- Ensure compliance with environmental regulations and permitting including air, surface water, hazardous waste and waste water
- Support regional teams to meet local regulatory compliance requirements
- Perform periodic audits of all laboratory and manufacturing locations to ensure compliance with applicable environmental regulations and company policies
- Implement a comprehensive system to track active permits and ensure such permits are renewed accurately and timely
- Monitor changes in relevant regulations and communicates to management appropriate actions
- Maintain and facilitate communications with regulatory and emergency response agencies
- Be an active member of the wellness committee to ensure continual collaboration between the safety and wellness programs
- Health & Safety
- Champion cultural change to systematically improve safety, hygiene and environmental performance in our laboratories and plants
- Create the vision for global EHS and lead the global EHS team
- Develop, prepare, implement and manage company-wide EHS procedures, manuals and plans (chemical safety, ergonomics, illness and injury prevention and building safety) in compliance with local, state and federal regulations
- Understand and guide chemical hygiene plans for our laboratories, driving hazard determination, risk assessments, safe handling, and proper disposal
- Oversee compliance training and inspection programs for lab and plant areas to ensure compliance with global occupational safety and health standards
- Perform inspections of controls/programs for chemical and physical hazards
- Drive reduction in potential chemical exposure and ergonomic incidences
- Ensure locations have properly documented and deployed the necessary risk management programs (RMP) and plant safety programs (PSP)
- Develop and implement EHS training programs that promote safe work practices, employee engagement, and metrics improvement
- Drive key safety programs like BBS, process safety management, Lockout Tagout (LOTO), Confined Space, etc.
- Achieve lost time incident and total recordable incident rate goals
- Maintain the EHS information systems to ensure they are accurate and capable of providing the data needed to meet strategic, legal, financial, and social reporting needs
- Direct and oversee our incident reporting and investigation process
- Conduct analysis of accidents / incidents, identify trends and collaborate with laboratory and operations management to implement positive change
- Lead and develop a team of diverse and experienced EHS professionals and leaders
Critical Competencies, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and technical writing skills with the ability to interact with all levels in the organization
- Develop and maintain good relationships, gain the confidence of others and work effectively in a matrix environment
- Able to effectively collaborate with site operations, functional leaders and customers
- Experience with regulatory agencies to support permitting and compliance inspections
- Knowledge of EPA and OSHA regulatory programs including CAA, CWA, RCRA, CERCLA, TSCA, FIFRA, Hazard Communication, and Hazard Analysis, and equivalent programs governing operations in countries that Michelman operates (Belgium, Luxembourg, Singapore, India, China and Japan)
Education and Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree required in environmental services, occupational health or engineering
- Master of Science in occupational safety, environmental health, or related discipline preferred
- At least twelve (12) years of experience in an industry that is engaged in manufacturing of chemical products with a significant exposure to Regulatory, Environmental, Health, and Safety issues
- Prior experience in building and leading teams, and developing talent across a global EHS function
- Professional certifications including CEP, CHMM, IH, CSP, PE, etc. preferred
- Project Management experience
Note: The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to the job. They are not construed to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Michelman is proud of the values-focused work environment that we have crafted. We pride ourselves in our focus on our values of integrity, respect, success, collaboration, curiosity, and giving. With our dedication to your technical and professional growth in addition to our rigorous onboarding experience, we guarantee that you will find yourself challenged in new ways. We offer an excellent salary, incentive and benefits package in a dynamic, empowered team environment.
No phone calls please. Michelman does not hire individuals who use tobacco products. All candidates will receive a drug test prior to beginning employment which will include a test for tobacco products.
For more information about Michelman, please visit https://www.michelman.com/.
It is Michelman, Inc. policy to seek and employ qualified persons in all jobs in a manner which will ensure equal employment opportunity as well as administer personnel actions in a manner as to not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation or disability. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michelman is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
Apply in the US